If you’re like most of us, you’ve had a cavity at some point in your life that your dentist restored with a filling. You probably didn’t think too much about the process because when you went in the tooth hurt, and when you left the office, it didn’t anymore.
So what happened in between? Obviously, the decay that caused your pain was removed, and you got a filling. But what does that involve?
Your dentist wants you to understand what’s involved with tooth-colored fillings in Alpharetta because information is power, and you deserve to know what’s happening with your oral health!
5 Steps for Placing a Tooth-Colored Filling
- Numb the tooth – The first step is to numb the area being treated with a topical gel. To deliver the injection, many dentists like Dr. Kai Liang use state-of-the-art systems that minimize or eliminate the discomfort associated with this step.
- Remove decay – Since you’re numb, your dentist uses a hi-speed drill to remove the decayed outer portion of the tooth. When they reach the softer layer of dentin beneath, a slower drill will be used.
- Prepare the tooth – Your dentist prepares the tooth by shaping the space to receive the filling. One of the advantages of tooth-colored fillings is that a minimal amount of tooth structure needs to be removed to form a durable bond.
- Fill the tooth – Your dentist uses an etching gel to roughen the surface of the tooth to create a durable bond between it and the filling. The tooth-colored material is expertly shaped to form a natural-looking repair, and a curing light is used to bond the filling.
- Check your bite – That little piece of colored paper your dentist has you bite down on is carbon paper, and it shows high spots on your filling that they need to remove to allow your teeth to come together comfortably when you bite down.
The result is a repair that blends so seamlessly with your natural tooth that even you won’t be able to detect it!
Please Call Alpharetta Creek Restorative Dentistry
Do you have a toothache or suspect that a cavity is developing? Please call us to arrange an appointment with Dr. Kai to get the help you need.