Dental crowns are one of the most versatile restorations that dentists use today. Also called “caps,” crowns are most often used to protect broken teeth. Dental crowns work by covering a damaged tooth with a new surface to restore function and appearance.
Why Your Dentist Recommends Crowns
But they have other uses, and there are other reasons why we recommend dental crowns at our Alpharetta, GA dental office:
A tooth is damaged to the extent that a dental filling alone isn’t enough to restore it.
- A tooth has already been filled multiple times and now requires a dental crown to support and protect it.
- A tooth that has had root canal treatment needs the protection and strength of a dental crown.
- A tooth is poorly shaped or positioned and interferes with the proper function of your dental bite.
- A tooth is severely discolored and should be concealed with a dental crown to improve its appearance.
Steps Involved in Placing a Crown
With the availability of new and improved materials, dentists in Alpharetta can design long-lasting dental crowns that resemble a natural tooth and blend seamlessly with surrounding teeth.
There are three steps involved in getting a new dental crown:
- In the first step, your dentist reshapes your tooth so the restoration doesn’t add any extra bulk and fits naturally.
- Next, your dentist takes impressions of the tooth that a dental lab uses to design and fabricate your crown.
- In the final step, your dentist cements the final crown securely in place on your tooth.
We send the information we gather to a dental lab where your new crown is painstakingly crafted to our specifications by skilled technicians. This process usually takes about two weeks.
Do You Need a Dental Crown? Call Us!
Dr. Kai is a dentist who loves the art of perfecting smiles with restorations like dental crowns for our Alpharetta, GA patients. If you have a damaged tooth or think you need a crown for another reason, please call us to schedule an appointment so we can take a look.